This is an outstanding recipe that will cure your pasta craving and only cost you 5 Smart Points in the Weight Watchers app! The secret is using hot Italian Turkey Sausage in a tasty tomato sauce to turn the simply sensible into the sensational.
My weakness has always been bread and pasta. There’s just something about it that I love. When we started last year on a path toward healthier eating, we found the Weight Watchers app to be a great tool for being mindful of our portions and food choices. The downside is that the Smart Point system is weighted to discourage bread and pasta.
When we saw this recipe posted on the Weight Watchers site, we were intrigued.
WHEN TURKEY BECOMES ITALIAN
Turkey is the meat used in this dish because both turkey and chicken cost zero Smart Points in the Weigh Watcher system. This makes it a much more attractive meat as compared to beef or pork. So while I understood the WHY, I did not understand the HOW.
For me, turkey mean has a specific flavor that is hard to hide. It’s almost inextricably associated with Thanksgiving in my mind, so I was skeptical that it could incorporated into a robust meal that could satisfy a craving for spaghetti without tasting like, well… turkey.
Surprisingly, the use of hot Italian turkey sausage completely solved the problem, and I was pleasantly surprised to find myself so engrossed in the meal that I completely forgot that it was turkey.
|6 oz||Bowtie Pasta (about 3 cups)|
|1/4 tsp||Salt (for cooking pasta)|
|1 tsp||Olive oil|
|8 oz||Uncooked hot Italian Turkey Sausage|
|1||Small onion, chopped|
|4||Garlic cloves, minced|
|3/4 cup||Chicken broth|
|14-1/2 oz||Fire Roasted Canned Tomatoes|
|1 tsp||Crushed red pepper flakes|
|1/4 cup||Parmesan cheese|
- Cook pasta in lightly salted water according to package directions; drain pasta and return to pot.
- Meanwhile, remove the casing from the turkey sausage. In a skillet cook the sausage and onion until it is lightly browned, about 5 minutes.
- Add garlic and chicken broth to skillet. Cook, stirring often, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in tomatoes and red pepper flakes. Cook until almost boiling, then reduce to simmer. While it can be served immediately, we prefer to let this simmer for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Spoon sauce over pasta, and sprinkle with cheese to taste.
- Serving size is 1-1/2 cup, plus 2 tsp cheese.